This week’s terrific actions for raising the minimum wage culminate with an important event in New York City, Friday, June 15 - full information below. In addition, this is a critical time to make your voice heard in the following ways if you have not already done so. Thank you for everything you are doing!
► Contact Governor Cuomo
► Contact Your State Senator: http://www.nysenate.gov/senators
The NY State Assembly has already passed legislation in May that would raise New York’s minimum wage from $7.25 to $8.50.
► Sign and/or Circulate the sign-on letters for faith leaders, business people, civil society organizations and the general public:
- New York State Clergy Sign-On Letter
- Business For A Fair Minimum Wage Sign-On Statement
- Civil Society Organizations Sign-On Statement
- Working Families Party Sign-On Statement
June 15 NYC Event to Urge Gov. Cuomo to Raise Minimum Wage
When: Friday, June 15
Time: 1:00 PM
Location: Front Steps of New York City Hall, 260 Broadway
Governor Cuomo and Senate Majority Leader Dean Skelos have only one more week to increase New York’s minimum wage. Sen. Skelos has refused to even bring a debate to the Senate floor, let alone a bill. It is time for Gov. Cuomo to put his full weight into the issue. And if the Senate does not come through, Gov. Cuomo has the executive authority to issue a “wage order” raising the state minimum wage.
Please join faith leaders, low-wage workers, business leaders and community members for the press event. Confirmed speakers, among others, include:
- Sheldon Silver, New York State Assembly Speaker
- Rev. Jennifer Kottler, Park Avenue Christian Church and Let Justice Roll Board Member
- Rev. Dr. James Forbes, Jr., Riverside Church Senior Minister Emeritus New York State Assemblyman Keith Wright
- Mark Jaffe, CEO, Greater New York Chamber of Commerce
- Low-Wage Workers
For more information please contact: Andres Kwon at akwon [at] workingfamilies [dot] org.
Please consider a donation to Let Justice Roll to support our work for raising the minimum wage. Click here to make a contribution. Thank you!